(Notes from Dr Chris at FBC Ruston, Jan 1, 2012)
Joshua 24: 15
"But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”
* Life's about choices. (Starbucks can make 87,000 kinds of coffee!)
* "God" by definition is your priority, who you answer to.
* "serve" in Hebrew worship, means to honor or be enslaved to..
* "choose," again in Hebrew, insinuated making a deliberate choice.
*JOSHUA offered two choices to the people in this text, toward the end of his life:
The God of the Bible
The Gods of the world (idols and other ancient gods like the sun and moon god; money, sports, power, family etc
* Choose the God of the Scriptures
God wants exclusive claim as No. 1 in your heart
a. it's a PERSONAL choice
b. it will be a PUBLIC choice ... Joshua let the people know who he would serve; if you are ashamed of God, there is a problem, as there would be if you were ashamed of any relationship.
* Luke 12:8-9 "“I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God. 9 But whoever disowns me before others will be disowned before the angels of God.
c. It's a PRESSING decision ... "choose for yourself today..."
* procrastination calluses your heart
* your choice impacts others
* life's uncertain -- and this choice has eternal consequences