Friday, January 22, 2010

Eye Checkup, I Checkup

At that time Jesus said, `I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these thingsfrom the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure’.""All things have been committed to me by my Father.No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him."
-- Matthew 11:25-26


I was too smart for my own good. I knew the Bible, but I didn’t "know" the Son. I could not know Him, because I didn’t want to. I wanted to know about Him; I wanted an intellectual relationship, not an intimate one.

When I was properly humbled, my heart’s eyes saw differently. Read differently. Searched differently. All I thought I'd known was wrong. God revealed His Word when my heart retired from seeking a diploma and instead started seeking a Savior.

Paul had to be made blind before he could see. When his eyes were opened, he saw the cross. Then all was clear: the cheapness of his world, the darkness of his heart, the fatal nature of faith in self. Once Paul in humility saw the cross, once he "saw" Christ crucified, he never took his eyes off it again.

"Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not-- to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him."
1 Corinthians 1: 26-29

*(Speaking of saints, Saints by 3 over Minnesota? You think? Colts bomb Jets by 20. Although I emotionally love the Jets. Have since 1969. I'm just sayin...)