Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sermon-on-a-Stick: 'Successfully Navigating Life's Terrible Times'

These are from Sunday night's sermon if you trust my note-taking...Dr. Chris presiding...

SUCCESSFULLY NAVIGATING LIFE'S TERRIBLE TIMES

(Complete text) Mark 14-15

1. MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN GOD'S WILL
Mark 14: 35-39 35Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36"Abba,[e] Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."
37Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Simon," he said to Peter, "are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour? 38Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."
39Once more he went away and prayed the same thing. 40When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. They did not know what to say to him.



Facing His most gruesome test, Jesus grinded it out with the Father to make sure of the Father's will...Legions of angels could have been summoned by Christ (Mt. 26:53), but He knew the Scriptures and God's will had to be fulfilled.

In Mark 14: 61-65, the trouble snowballs. Jesus flogged in Mark 15.

So why did Christ, in this time, not 'give in'? Because he knew he was in God's will.
A. Rest in/ Get in God's will -- A lot of our pain is because we aren't in God's will
B. Pray, tithe, go to church, pray some more, read the Word, be accountable -- Am I right with God? If I'm not, I'll fold up and give in in the terrible times.
C. Am I where I need to be? -- In my job? In retirement? In my relationships? Jesus could stay the course in his agony because he knew he was where he needed to be.

2. KEEP YOUR EYES ON YOUR MISSION
Mark 15:20: Jesus is mocked and beaten.
Mark 15:24 His clothes are divided
Yet he is still saving people til the very end Luke 23:39-43
Even the centurion believed Mark 15:39 ... it's as if a little revival breaks out around the foot of the cross. Even in his agony, Jesus continued the missioin.

* What is my mission? Love people. Make my church and family and the world better, give all the support they need to improve. Win people and, when you die, be missed by people because you loved them and they knew it.

To make it through terrible times ...
1. Make sure I'm in God's will
2. Keep my eyes on Him/The Cross/The Mission

-30-