(These are my Sunday notes from FBC Ruston/Dr. Chris Craig)
The Lord's Supper is About What Christ Did For Us
1. We Are All Sinners
* "Passover" in Jesus' day celebrated the first Passover and the Israelites freedom from Egypt. They needed a physical savior.
* Jesus begins Lord's Supper to Symbolize our need for a spiritual Savior ... Rom 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
2. Christ Bled and Died for You
Lamb died at original passover to save sons ... physical
Lamb of God died to save sons .. spiritual
vs. 19 Bread broken equals body broken
vs. 20 Wine poured out equals blood poured out
3. This Should Forever Change Us
Lord's Supper is for everyone but is intensely personal, intimate
4. We Should Live Our Life In Light of Jesus' Sacrifice ... "my body, given for you."
A man's son died in a bicycle accident. The man took the bike and placed it in a storeroom. And now and then through the years he would go look at the crumpled bike, blood dried on it, and the same feelings from the day of the accident would come back. The bicycle was a physical symbol of that day's events.
The Lord's Supper is a physical symbol of what happened on Cruxification Day. What does the Cross represent to you?