Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Learning to pray

Prayer takes time, and we're to pray all day every day, without ceasing. I know the devil's a good devil, the best in the business, and I know he loves it when we don't pray, when we neglect it.

I'm learning; of all the things in the Bible the disciples asked for, the one thing they knew they needed to be taught was how to pray. They never said, "Father, teach us to preach" or to witness or to study the Bible. But the scripture does say that "He taught them to pray..."

No matter what my prayers will specifically be about today or tomorrow or in the next few days or hopefully years, after a few months or praying, I feel my best prayers will always be these, and my guess is many of you feel the same.

"God help me."

"Thank you Jesus."

And like the daddy of the demon-possessed little boy, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief."

And finally the prayer of the tax collector, who wouldn't even look up to heaven but beat his chest and prayed, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'