2 Samuel 6: 1-9
Uzzah dies after touching the ark, which represented God's presence
I. HOW DO WE DISRESPECT GOD, THE PRESENCE OF GOD?
God is a Loving Father and our Holy Master, a balance...
1. WHEN WE ACT BEFORE WE GET GOD'S DIRECTION
* David acted in moving the ark before asking God; nowhere in the text is it recorded that he prayer or asked anyone for direction or accountability
* We quench the spirit when we act before getting His guidance
2. WHEN WE DON'T DO GOD'S WORK GOD'S WAY
Exodus 25 has instructions to carry the ark; very involved instructions.
David's men were well-intentioned, doing a 'good' thing, but ... God's work must be done God's way to have God's blessing; God IS in the details.
3. WHE WE TREAT WITH CASUALNESS THE THINGS OF GOD
* They KNEW not to touch the ark
* Sin almost always begins with a carelessness and a casualness
* Is my behavior toward church, toward connections groups, etc., casual?
II. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DO THIS?
1. WE LOSE THE POWER AND PRESENCE OF GOD
2. THE JUDGMENT OF GOD COMES (v 7)
Against Uzzah, an immediate death penalty.
Other places in scripture where judgment is swift:
Lev 10 -- Aaron's sons devoured by fire
Josh 7 -- The sin of Achan
Acts 5 -- Ananias and Sapphira
1 Cor 11 -- Paul's account of those who have approached the Lord's Supper with casualness and are now 'weak and sick or have fallen asleep (died)'...
* We accept subpar as par because of our steady casualness