Monday, May 4, 2009

My fellow graduates...


“I’m not much, but I’m all I think about.”

I laugh every time I read that. So true of me. What an impressive bundle of ego and selfishness.

I’m not much, but I’m all I think about.

A good rule for this spring’s high school graduating class – and for any of us enrolled in this School of Life – would be the opposite of such an attitude. And a good graduation gift would be Golden…

“Do unto others as you would have them do to you.” Luke 6:31

Sounds trite, right? But so do reminders like “Say ‘please!’” and “Wash your hands before supper” and “Don’t forget your prayers.” (When all else fails, always call on the classics.)

I've had to retire from advice-giving. I couldn't run my own life, much less anyone else's. But I can offer experience, and from mine, if I were giving the commencement address today, I could do worse than offer those four pieces of encouragement.

Be polite. Get clean. Spend time with your Father. And treat others as you wish to be treated.

Maybe it's time to pick up the rhythm guitar for a change. Let someone else have the mic. God can work a spotlight. He knows when to put it on us. In the meantime, maybe we can begin to enjoy his applause for us and his delight in us when we come to him and say, “God, how can I serve you today?”

Christ really does want to make us a little more like Himself each day, to educate us in the School of Him. Why? Because he loves us. Because he wants to save us from ourselves. He wants us to know the joy in Him available when we move away from me-centered hearts and closer to one that lives for “the least of these.”

Philippians 2:3 “…in humility consider others better than yourselves.”