(Note taking from FBC Ruston, Dr Chris being the starting pitcher...)
MAKE THINGS BETTER
Acts 6: 1-7 (NIV)
1 In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the Hellenistic Jews[a] among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food. 2 So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. 3 Brothers and sisters, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them 4 and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.”
5 This proposal pleased the whole group. They chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit; also Philip, Procorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolas from Antioch, a convert to Judaism. 6 They presented these men to the apostles, who prayed and laid their hands on them.
7 So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith.
*What we need to do to leave GOOD footprints in the sands of time...? Make things better! If yo uwant to be a good leader, husband, etc., make things better.
1. Problems and Needs Exist Everywhere
v. 1 -- the church's needs led to the forming of a deacon body
2. The Need to Improve and Push Forward is Always There
v. 7 -- "the word spread..."
* the priests/Saddueces SEE men honestly and earnestly serving, and it helps to change them
* As long as there is one lost person or disenfranchised family within walking distance of your church, it's God's charge for the church to grow (paraphrasing California minister Rick Warren)
3. To Make Things Better, You Have to Continually Be Getting Better Yourself
* Be willing to become better, and work toward that
v. 3 ... "seven men full of spirit and wisdom..."
IQ and wisdom are not the same thing...Christ's diciples were fishermen, a tax collector, etc...
Gal 5:22-23 ... fruit of the spirit ..... "seven men full of SPIRIT and wisdom..."
Be in church. Read your Bible. Pray. God then empowers us to make a positive difference.
Romans 16 -- Paul lists people who've made a difference in his ministry and for Christ....'ordinary' people trying to make things better...
It takes no effort to make things worse. It takes a bit of effort and prayer and will to make things better.