Wednesday, November 10, 2010

You Can't Make This Stuff Up: The Grass Eating Edition



Les Miles was fed up. Or not. Here's the deal....

Not only did he eat grass on the sidelines during LSU's Saturday win over Alabama -- go here for more (I thought, watching it live, that he'd dropped a sunflower seed and, during the defining moment of the game, took the time to reach down and pick it up. Sometimes, when you really crave a seed, I mean, you REALLY crave a seed! I've been there) ... but he also ... well, I'll let my friend Other explain ...


After enduring weeks of criticism and bellyaching from fans Les had enough.
We weren't satisfied with seven wins and only one loss (and that to the Heisman guy).
Even when they'd win we'd complain about play choices and time running out and whatnot.
Some of us would even voice displeasure from the stands during a win.
Les was tired of it so I guess he showed us.
He decided to throw the ball down field, make some unpredictable play calls, utilize more of their talent, and manage the clock.
Just like we had been begging him to do.
I think he did it out of spite.

There were many gems in Monday's press conference including more info about
using a pinch of Bermuda between cheek and gum but this was my favorite:

Here's Miles at his weekly news conference, on if the big plays in the passing game have been there all year and just weren't executed...

"I think the open week, we took time to do some things in the passing game that we needed to do and redo and things that have been there all year, yes, but that we needed to execute better and continue to press in the same direction. I think our football team recognizes when they see us practice that we can throw the football, and we're coming. It just needs to stay there, and we need to continue to execute it that way. Show what we have, not necessarily malfunction for some reason."

Beautiful!

So, I (teddy) conclude that, in all phases of the game – eating grass, calling or not calling plays, press conference rhetoric – this may have been Coach Miles' finest hour.

Next up for LSU: ULM, Saturday night in Tiger Stadium, where the grass takes good.

-30-