Thursday, October 27, 2011

In The Presence: 4

(My notes from FBC Ruston and Dr. Chris)

HEARING GOD

1 Samuel 3

1. THE LORD SPEAKS AND MAKES HIMSELF KNOWN ... IN HIS HOUSE
v. 1-4 ... God created organized religion and shows up in church...Do I go to church looking for God to show up? BE in the house of God...

2. ... TO THOSE QUIET ENOUGH TO HEAR v. 3-4
1 Kings 19 tell the story of Elijah missing God because he was looking for an earthquake
Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God..."

3. ...TO THOSE OPEN AND SENSITIVE TO HIM
v 4 --
Samuel answered, "Here I am"
Do you go to church, connection groups, wanting to hear a word from God?

4. ... AND OTHERS CAN HELP US DISCERN GOD'S VOICE
v. 5-9 .. "Samuel ran to Elijah..."
* Have people in your life who will help you

5. ...TO THOSE WHO ARE SURRENDERED TO HIM
v. 10 -- "The Lord said...Samuel Answered..."
*Am I really open to God's woice and to what he has to say, exactly?...
-30-