Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Vision Accomplished, 2

THE WHO AND THE HOW

Neh 1: 1-4
1 The words of Nehemiah son of Hakaliah:
In the month of Kislev in the twentieth year, while I was in the citadel of Susa, 2 Hanani, one of my brothers, came from Judah with some other men, and I questioned them about the Jewish remnant that had survived the exile, and also about Jerusalem.

3 They said to me, “Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire.”

4 When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.


Live every day as if it's your last day, and some day, you'll be right.
Don't want "until" -- now is the time

WHO GETS GOD'S VISION?

1. Begins with you and God
No vision unless, like Nehemiah, you are connected/close to God
John 8:47 -- the reason you don't hear is that you don't belong to God

2. A Person of Character
Nehemiah prays for his people and himself with honesty
God won't give a vision to a skunk

3. Be Open to It
No one was open to the vision of rebuilding the wall for 140 years

HOW DO WE FIND THE VISION?

1. Thur the Bible
Neh 1: 8-9 "Remember Lord your word to Moses,..." Nehemiah prays. Scripture will always give us a foundation and boundaries

2. Thru others (v. 2) -- "I questioned as they said to me..."

3. Thru real needs and problems (v. 3) -- Nehemiah jointed the Vision Club, not the Criticism Club ...

4. From our Giftings and Passions -- Nehemiah was 'cut out' for wall building...as a top servant of the king, he was dependable, detail-oriented, ... Like, God often tailors/matches His given gifts to His vision for us...

5. Prayer v. 4
"I wept, mourned, fasted and cried..."
We don't sit before God and listen much. We need to sit and say, "God, talk to me..."

Sir Francis Drake -- "Disturb us oh Lord..Push back the horizons of our hope...may we seek you in strength, courage, hope and faith..."

-30-