(my notes from Dr. Chris' Sunday morning effort, 2/10/12)
1 Timothy 2: 1-8
1 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time. 7 And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—and a true and faithful teacher of the Gentiles.
8 Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing.
1. God Wants Everyone To Be Savedvs. 4 "(God) who wants all to be saved..."
vs. 2 -- asks prayers even for Nero, who'd killed Christians, and prayers for leaders everywhere, including in Ephesus where Timothy was pastor.
Understanding God's Will
1. God's Absolute will -- all will die and face judgement, Christ will return, etc
2. God's Permissive will -- do i have mustard or ketchup? you can decide!
3. God's Perfect will -- our choices, where we respond to him or now
2. Salvation is Found only In Christvs. 5 -- "there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ
Christ must be RECEIVED...
John 1:12: But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children ...
Rev 3:20 -- Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me...
3. He Paid the Full Price for Our Sins
4. What Do We Need To Do?a. let these soak in from our heads to our hearts
b. Pray a lot for people (vs. 1 -- "FIRST, PRAY...")
c. Make sure you've crossed the bridge, come to an 'experienced knowledge (v 4) of the truth...