(From notes 4/22, Sunday morning, fbc ruston, dr chris)
2 Timothy 2:14-21
Paul shares with Timothy how to get God's nod of approval
1. Do Life With Excellence v. 5
* Cut a straight path, a clean path
* Col 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for me."
* Excellence : way above average (John Maxwell's definition); it's not perfection.
2. Live Out Your Faith v 15
* 'correctly handle'' the truth ... live out practically. Knowledge without practical application is useless -- do what the Bible says. We do good arguing and debating the Bible, we just aren't so good at LIVING the bible.
* James 1:22 "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."
3. Guard Your Tongue Closely v 14, 16
"Warn them about quarellign about words ... avoid godless chatter." ... it leads to disrespect of God in other areas.
* Your words can cause others to turn from God
v. 14 -- "The ruin of the hearers ..."
* v 17-18 -- "...they destroy the faith of some."
4. Strive To Be Usable By God v. 20-21
* You can be the 'fine china' for the Lord, used for a noble purpose.