(my notes from sunday night, march 25, 2012, fbc ruston/dr. chris)
1 Corinthians 6: 1-11
1 If any of you has a dispute with another, do you dare to take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the Lord’s people? 2 Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! 4 Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, do you ask for a ruling from those whose way of life is scorned in the church? 5 I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers? 6 But instead, one brother takes another to court—and this in front of unbelievers!
7 The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated? 8 Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers and sisters. 9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
1. We Will Have Problems With Others
* Because we all have a sinful nature v 1
2. Try To Work Out Problems Out In Private v 2-6
* Paul is not anti-legal system; he appealed to civic law often. What he says here is Greeks are airing their disputes publicly, and therefore harming the name of Christ.
3. Sometimes It's Better To Take One On The Chin
* Be aware of how sensitive I can be to the smallest slight; character is more important than competitivenes
* The cause of Christ is greater than you and me ... sometimes it's better to lose than win
4. These Are Symptoms Of The Real Problem v 6-11
Examine your heart
Ask God, "Help me to know what's worth fighting for and what's not."