Tuesday, March 22, 2011

And the Winners Are ...

(From the ethought files ... My dad gets to preach a sermon now and then in Georgia and a couple of weeks ago he used this as his title, working off the Academy Awards and whatnot. His was a different text, but the point was the same: No matter what happens, nothing can seperate the follower from the love of God.)

"Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." 1 Timothy 1:13-14 (NIV)

Earthquake. Tsunami.

Could things get any worse?

Sure, they could. Can. And did.

Nuclear meltdown woes.

Just when you think one tragedy tops the list, another comes in its wake. Recent events illustrate the certainty of uncertainty. We don't have enough orange cones to mark off all the hot spots.

Tragedy, some natural and some man-made. Mother Nature and human nature are full of surprises.

But certainty exists in The Word. The everlasting . . . the I Am. It has always been this way.

In the spring of the year, tragedy reminds us we live in a world fallen, while at the same time, buds and warmth bear witness to a God with the power to make all things new, a God of grace, the author of faith, the Father of a Son sent to save sinners . . . sinners like Paul, and like you, and like me. To a world that needs saving, this is The Good News.

"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life." 1 Timothy 1:15-16(NIV)

-30-