THE REAL DEAL
9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position Do not be conceited.
How we love others says far more about us than it does about them.
1 John 4: 7-8 ... "7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."
Qualities God Uses to Describe Real Love
1. Sincere, v. 9 -- let love be without hypocrisy
2. Devoted, v. 10 -- a WARMTH -- (One day Snoopy told Lucy, "I'm bugable AND I'm loveable.")
3. Honor v 10 -- outdo each other in honoring; have a desire to serve
* One of the elements of much mental illness is self-absorption
4. Hospitable v. 13 -- chase after opportunities to serve; you might be entertaining an angel unaware (Hebrews 13:1-2)
5. Understanding v. 15 -- Rejoice with others, weep with others; be involved and caring.
6. Unifying v. 16 -- love brings people together. "Live in harmony."
Prov. 10:12 -- Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs.
7. Humble v 16 -- Do not be proud. A person walking with Jesus will have friends of ALL types, not just friends who are 'like' he is.