(notes from church, Dr. Chris, FBC Ruston)
8 In the very same way, on the strength of their dreams these ungodly people pollute their own bodies, reject authority and heap abuse on celestial beings. 9 But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”[d] 10 Yet these people slander whatever they do not understand, and the very things they do understand by instinct—as irrational animals do—will destroy them.
11 Woe to them! They have taken the way of Cain; they have rushed for profit into Balaam’s error; they have been destroyed in Korah’s rebellion.
How Does One Deal With Authority? ...
1. With the Lord? (v 8 and 11)
Lord = master or boss
What happens when you have a rebellious heart against your Master...
2. With How We Use Words (v 9-10)
slander -- to hurt, defame someone; rail against.
* Even Michael did not slander Satan
* Phil 4:8 -- "What is good...dwell on these things."
* The slanderers attempt to make themselves better by gossipping about the 'haves.'
3. These Are Dangerous Signs (v 11)
a. Cain, a murderer
b. Balaam, prophet who led people into immorality
c. Korah, rebelled against Moses
* These are harsh examples in the Bible because God takes these matters seriously.
* Create space between me and ones who show these signs of not being under god's authority, those who walk in the way of Cain.